Monday, September 27, 2010

Just because some of them are moody and rude doesn't mean you can't assist the rest... Even the mean ones are still just people.

These two instances happened a few weeks ago. My friend's recent responses to what I did, pissed me off and sparked this rant.

Instance #1.
A man in a wheel chair was leaving the post office as I was going in. He hadn't quite gotten to the door yet and had a whole bunch of stuff. There are no "Disabled" buttons for the door as you leave the building.
I, having been raised that a person is a person is a person... blah blah blah, opened the door saying, "Oh, let me get this for ya'."
The look on his face was of utter amazement and gratitude. He rolled out and said, "Thank you very much." I responded with, "You're very welcome. Have a great day!" He smiled and went on his way.

Instance #2.
A very tall, black man with dreadlocks was leaving the post office as I walked up to enter the building. We were going slightly different paces. I opened the door because I got there first and looked at him with a huge smile. He paused and gave me a look of confusion.
I kept smiling and said, "Go ahead. I got to it first and you have mail in your hand." He had the biggest smile I've ever seen on a man of his height (which is really tall). Then he bashfully said "Thank you. Have a nice day." I said, "Thanks! You too!"

My friend's responses...
#1. "You aren't supposed to do that. They're perfectly capable of it, just like everyone else. Just ask one of them."
One of them? You mean disabled people? Emphasis on People. Don't help people? It doesn't matter who they are if they obviously need an extra hand. They are PEOPLE!

#2. "You didn't? They don't like handouts. They are just as good as anyone else you know."
Yeah, and they are good enough to open a door for. I don't care who it is. It's polite. You can go screw yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment